There are quite a few festivals which have graced our land, nevertheless, there are a number of that maintain cultural significance and add to its splendour. The importance of agriculture has at all times been a jewel within the crown for India. Honouring the roots, all the nation comes collectively in January to have fun the abundance and prosperity introduced by the brand new harvest season.
Each area of India celebrates this and welcomes the brand new harvest 12 months with nice pleasure. Punjab and Haryana have fun Lohri within the north. West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra worships the solar god on Makar Sankranti. Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry have fun Pongal, Gujrat observes Uttarayan and Bihu is widely known in Assam. So, this has each a non secular in addition to cultural relevance. Although having totally different names the spirit stays the identical throughout the nation.
This competition additionally marks the tip of winter and the onset of spring which affords numerous seasonal produces which can be recent, wholesome and optimum for consumption. From inexperienced leafy greens to vibrant fruits, grains and legumes, this season provides some wealthy finds which can be additionally added to the delicacies of the harvest competition. Let’s make a journey round India and discover the importance of seasonal consuming, its well being advantages. Additionally, we might certainly be taking a spoonful of all of the delicious meals historically ready for this competition.
We now have usually heard nutritionists discuss a rainbow diet that ideally contains vegatables and fruits of varied colors which can be a part of the seasonal produce. Seasonal consuming refers to consuming the fitting seasonal meals at the moment of the 12 months when it’s harvested. The intention is to profit from these recent meals which can be at their finest style and supply quite a few phytonutrients. This enriches the thoughts and physique with superb dietary advantages and combats illnesses.
Why is Consuming Seasonal Vital?
The idea of consuming seasonal comes from the truth that seasonal meals are crammed with tons of vitamins and micronutrients that assist the physique to adapt to weather conditions and stop its respective illnesses. January is the time for flu and fever the place your immunity will get compromised. The chilly winter additionally causes vitamin D deficiencies and illnesses like arthritis. Thus, seasonal vegatables and fruits are required to fulfil the requirement of the time.
Seasonal meals additionally style higher than the saved and frozen meals out there available in the market. The pure, newly harvested produce are sweeter, backyard recent, unprocessed and enhances the flavour of cooked meals.
Since seasonal meals don’t require storage and transportation, they’re inexpensive. They’re picked up from native, close by locations and offered at markets. These make them not simply wholesome but additionally cheap than their packaged options.
Additionally, by consuming seasonal, you’re serving to and supporting the native farmers. Saving the atmosphere from pointless air pollution brought on by transportation and refrigeration.
Well being Advantages of Consuming Seasonal
Winter diet is all about citrus and inexperienced leafy greens. Let’s check out the well being advantages that the brand new harvest meals present.
- Loaded with Antioxidants- There are greens like spinach and carrots which can be wealthy in antioxidants. Whereas spinach has lutein and zeaxanthin in abundance, carrots include carotenoids and anthocyanins that assist to neutralize the dangerous free radicals in our our bodies.
- Supply of Vitamin C- Vitamin C is a vital nutrient that’s wanted for the physique for the expansion and restore the tissues. January is a perfect time to eat fruits like oranges, kiwi and berries to keep up the extent of vitamin c within the physique and keep away from colds and flu that assaults the immune system of the physique.
- Supply of Vitamin D– Winters make you curl up your blanket and keep inside. Thus, it might decrease the pure vitamin D within the type of daylight and trigger deficiencies. Mushrooms and oranges are meals which can be winter produce and are loaded with vitamin D properties.
- Improves Cardiovascular Well being– Candy potatoes are potassium-rich greens and mustard are January finds and contribute to coronary heart well being. These additionally cut back the danger of cardiovascular illnesses.
Harvest Produces in January and their Dietary Worth
Fruits (100 grams)
- Dates: Dates include 277 kcal, 74.97 g of carbohydrates, 1.81 g of protein, 0.15 g of fat and 6.7 g of fibre.
- Kiwi: This candy unique fruit comprises 61 kcal, 0.5 g fats, 3 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrates, 9 g sugar, 3g dietary fibre and 1.1g protein.
- Oranges: Oranges might be referred to as a superfood with its super advantages. One massive orange comprises 88 kcal, 1.3 g of protein, 20.1 g of carbohydrates, 0.4 g of fat and a pair of g of fibre.
- Grapes: This excessive water content material fruit has 69 kcal, 0.2 g of fat, 16.5 g of carbs, 1 g of fibre and 0.5 g of protein.
- Chikoo: Although having a excessive GI rating, chikoo has different dietary worth. 100 g of chikoo comprises 98 kcal, 0.7 g of protein, 21.4 g of carbohydrates, 1.1 g of fat and 10.9 g of fibre.
Greens (100 grams)
- Spinach: Iron-rich meals that has 26 kcal, 2 g of protein, 2.9 g of carbohydrates, 0.7 g of fat and a pair of.5 g of fibre.
- Radish: 100 grams of radish comprises 17 kcal, 0.7 g of protein, 3.4 g of carbohydrates, 0.1 g of fat and 1.6 g of fibre.
- Carrot: Carrot comprises 48 kcal, 0.9 g of protein, 10.6 g of carbohydrates, 0.2 g of fat and 4.4 g of fibre
- Candy Potato: This vegetable has a superb quantity of carotene that advantages eye well being. It has 86 kcal, 1.6 g of protein, 20.1 g of carbohydrates, 0.1 g of fats and three g of fibre.
In style Harvest Recipes
- Sarson Da Saag
A preferred recipe from Punjab and a delicacy for Lohri, sarson da saag comprises all that’s wanted to fulfil one’s dietary requirement.
- 1 bunch mustard leaves
- ½ bunch spinach
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 inch ginger (chopped)
- 1 ¼ onion (chopped)
- 4 chilli
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- A pinch hing / asafoetida
- Firstly, wash and finely chop 1 bunch of mustard leaves and ½ bunch of spinach.
- Put the chopped leaves in a stress cooker together with 2 cloves of garlic, 1-inch ginger, ¼ onion, 2 chilli and ½ tsp salt.
- Now add 1 cup water and stress cook dinner for 4 whistles.
- Then, mash till coarsely floor.
- Subsequent, add 2 tbsp. of cornmeal and blend nicely.
- Cook dinner for five minutes or till the combination thickens. hold apart.
- Now in a big pan, warmth 2 tbsp. ghee, and sauté 2 cloves of garlic, 1-inch ginger and 1 inexperienced chilli.
- Subsequent, sauté 1 onion till it turns golden brown.
- Add in cooked and mashed leaves and blend nicely and proceed to cook dinner for 4-5 minutes
- Lastly, take pleasure in sarson da saag with makki di roti or with chapati.
2. Til Laddu
A well-known wholesome candy for Bihar, Jharkhand and a favorite throughout Makar Sankranti.
- Sesame Seeds/ Til- 1 ¼ cup
- Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Jaggery- 1 ¼ cup (chopped into items)
- Peanuts- ¼ cup (roasted and chopped)
- Cardamom Powder- ½ tsp
- Dry roast the components separately on medium-low warmth stirring ceaselessly
- Permit the roasted components to chill down earlier than processing
- Grate the jaggery or break it into small items utilizing a pestle
- Merely pulse 1 to 2 components at a time and grind the whole lot in a number of batches
- Therapeutic massage the ultimate combination nicely to assist launch the oils from the sesame seeds and peanuts which is able to assist bind the ladoo
3. Candy Pongal
Vital throughout Pongal, candy pongal is an ideal stability of wealthy and candy.
- Rice – ½ cup
- Moong dal / paasi paruppu- ¼ cup
- Jaggery -1 cup grated
- Cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
- Raisins- 2 to three tbsps
- Cardamom- 4 pods
- Ghee- ¼ cup
- Dry roast rice and dal individually till it’s scorching to the touch
- Stress cook dinner rice and dal along with 2 1/2 cups water. Mash nicely and hold apart (for brand spanking new rice, add solely 2 cups water)
- Warmth 1/4 cup water in a pan and add jaggery to it. When it dissolves, pressure it to take away any impurities
- Boil jaggery water with one teaspoon of ghee on medium warmth. Take a cup of water, add a tsp of jaggery syrup to it. If it doesn’t dissolve then it’s the proper stage so as to add mashed rice and dal
- Add mashed rice, dal combination and cook dinner for a couple of minutes till the whole lot will get blended. Add cardamom powder at this stage.
- Fry cashew nuts in a teaspoon of ghee. Take away from the pan and add to the rice dal combination.
- Add the remainder of the ghee and fry raisins till they puff up and add it to the rice dal combination together with ghee
- Cook dinner for a couple of minutes on low warmth till the whole lot will get blended nicely. serve scorching.
Among the many festivities crammed with enjoyable and laughter, don’t forget to maintain your self wholesome and protected. We at HealthifyMe additionally want you good well being and a really affluent harvest competition.